Wednesday, June 15, 2022

B-Major (We're Not In Love Anymore)

 B-Major (We're Not In Love Anymore)

(My attempt at a "Chicago" song)

I miss you oh, so badly
I feel alone, so sadly
'cause we're not in love anymore
We're not in love anymore

I miss your touch, so sweetly
I hide it so discreetly
that we're not in love anymore
We're not in love anymore

I long to long for you
I long to long for you

We've been together for too long, it seems
We don't fulfill each other's goals or dreams
because we're not in love anymore
We're not in love anymore

I really miss the way we hold each other closely
But now we never, ever touch each other, mostly 
'cause we're not in love anymore
We're not in love anymore

I long to long for you
I long to long for you




The Backstory


    I wrote this song in the spring of 2007. Lyrically, it's pretty much what you think it's about: a breakup......and yeah, we broke up......🙄

    Musically, I wanted to write a song in the style of 1970's Chicago, complete with lots of 7th chords, strummy, Terry Kath-influenced rhythm guitars, and real horns......and the horns are indeed real. 

    I recorded this song using Magix Samplitude. The drums were programmed into Samplitude's sequencer, and I used their stock drum sampler as the sound bank. I also played and edited the keyboards using an electronic piano patch, that sounded like something between a Wurlitzer and a Rhodes. The bass was programmed using a synth bass sample. I didn't have a good-sounding bass guitar that was fit for recording, so I decided to program it, instead. 

    For the horns, I used a real, garden-variety cornet that I had borrowed, and a Conn student-line trombone. I wanted a really round, dark bold horn sound that resembled Jimmy Pankow and Lee Loughnane's trombone/flugelhorn combination on Chicago's "Just You & Me".

    Speaking of Chicago, I got to meet original Chicago drummer Danny Seraphine twice, once in 2009, and once again in 2011. The second time, I asked him if he'd be interested in playing on this song. He told me he'd get back to me because he was in the middle of a move, and didn't have a drum kit at his new place, yet. We never got back with each other on the project. I probably wouldn't be able to afford him now, but I think he'd sound awesome on this track. 

    I remember sharing the video to this song in a Chicago-related forum a long time ago. I got some positive feedback from a few fans. One in particular thought the vocals sounded like a cross between Peter Cetera and David Pack (of Ambrosia fame). When I went back and listened to the tune and compared it to an Ambrosia tune, I realized he was right. I wasn't even trying to sound like David Pack, but I managed to get a close approximation, I think. 

    I never really finished this song, by the way. There was supposed to be an instrumental bridge after the 2nd chorus featuring a bright horn line in the key of G major, then leading back to final verse, chorus, and ending, but I never got around to recording it. If I ever do re-record this song, I will most definitely include that version.

    This song was never released as a single, but you can find it on YouTube. I've had it there since about 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Generational Wealth

 Generational Wealth       I still believe in generational wealth. A lot of people don’t understand what it is, or why it’s important. It is...