Sunday, July 22, 2018

Van Halen-Unchained, Runnin' With The Devil; She's The Woman


Van Halen-Unchained, Runnin' With The Devil; She's The Woman


Ordinarily, I don't post bootleg videos, but this was one of my rare exceptions. In light of Edward Lodewijk Van Halen's death in 2020, I feel that my recording of this particular performance should be preserved.

I shot this video of Van Halen myself back in 2012. I spent a pretty penny on tickets, and managed to score 2nd row center seats. I originally wanted to take someone really close to me to see the show, but she declined when I asked her. I brought her back a souvenir package with a cloth VH bag, a VH sweat shirt, some VH postcards, and some EVH guitar picks. She and I are no longer together, but I do believe she still has those items. 

I was totally jazzed to see Van Halen, and up close, too! Eddie was performing strongly and consistently. David Lee Roth put on a strong performance. Alex's drumming was on fire. Most notably, Eddie's son Wolfgang was playing and singing to his heart's content, filling in for former bassist and vocalist Michael Anthony. 

I had backstage passes to that show, but none of us got to meet the band, though. We did get to watch the sound check, however. I got to hear them rehearse "Light Up The Sky", which Ed had been trying to convince Dave to add to the setlist, but to no avail. I think they managed to squeeze it into the set list later on down the road, though. 

I still think about this night very often. It was one of the best concerts of my life, and I wish Eddie had lived to put out another Van Halen album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Generational Wealth

 Generational Wealth       I still believe in generational wealth. A lot of people don’t understand what it is, or why it’s important. It is...